Merlot Poached Pears
- May 24, 2020
- 8-10 (1 to 1 1/2 per person)
- 200 (without ice cream) Cals/Serving
- Print this
- - 8 to 10 Forelle Pears. Recommend the smaller size of pears so it can fit in the pot and Forelle Pears give the little tart so which is perfect when pairing with ice cream.
- - 1 to 1 1/2 bottles of favorite Merlot (750 mL size). You can also use any red wine that you like. This recipe, we not use the orange juice like some other recipes so it will give you very deep rich flavor of red wine once cooked.
- - 2 to 3 Cinnamon sticks
- - 1 tbsp Orange Zest
- - 2 cups of granulated sugar
- Step 1
- Prepare the pears: Peel the pears and put in the large deep pot.
- Step 2
- Pour the wine into the pot, make sure all the pears submerge in the wine.
- Step 3
- Add 1 cup of sugar and cinnamon sticks into the pot.
- Step 4
- Bring over to the stove on medium heat. Let it cook for 10-15 minutes, then lower the heat. Let the pears continue to simmer in the wine until the pears look soft and absorb all the wine color. The wine should be reduced to less than half. Remove Pears from the heat.
- Step 5
- Add 1 cup of remaining sugar into the pot to make the syrup or reduction. Continue to simmer the wine until it gets thicken syrup. Turn off the heat.
- Step 6
- To serve: This dessert is served warm and can also be made ahead overnight before serving to let the flavor be more absorbed. You can also pear this with the vanilla bean ice cream.