A classic French dessert with a few ingredients to make a custard with fruits usually with black cherries but you can make with any fruits like blueberries, peaches, or pears. This dessert is very easy to please anyone as it is so light and delicious and also looks so elegant. Usually it is baked in a cast iron skillet or some pie dish or ramekins as they can retain the heat well so make the custard cooked perfectly and evenly. It’s so easy to prepare in few minutes and can be made ahead and served as either hot or cold. I like the warm custard as it’s so smooth and fluffy when biting into. In this recipe, I used the almond flour combined with all-purpose flour to create the light texture and give the nutty flavor custard. You can also use entire almond flour for the gluten free version. The almond paired so well with the custard and cherries so you will really love this combination. Clafoutis is a perfect dessert over the coffee or tea and can be served for breakfast or brunch.
- July 16, 2020
- 1 hr
- 300 Cals/Serving
- Print this
- - 2 cups of cherries, cleaned and pitted
- - 1 tbsp butter for coating the baking dish, at room temperature
- - few tbsps of granulated sugar for coating the baking dish
- - 1/2 cup granulated sugar for custard
- - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- - 1 tsp almond extract
- - 1 cup whole milk
- - 1/2 cup heavy cream
- - 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- - 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- - 1/2 cup almond flour, blanched and super fine
- - 1/4 tsp salt
- - 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- - powdered sugar for dusting on top
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Step 2
- While the oven is heating up, prepare the baking dish by coating with the butter in the bottom and on the side of the dish, then add a few tablespoons of sugar and move around the baking dish until it’s all coating over the butter and shake off the excess.
- Step 3
- Place all the cherries and spread them all over the baking dish.
- Step 4
- To make the custard: Prepare the deep bowl, then add the eggs and sugar and started to whisk them together with the low setting handheld electric mixer. Then add the cream, milk and continue to whisk them until the egg mixture starts to look fluffy and create more volume.
- Step 5
- Add all dry ingredients (salt, almond flour, all-purpose flour) into the egg mixture. Continue to whisk or stir for a few minutes until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Do not over whisk it as it will cause the custard to get stiff when it is cooked.Stir the almonds extract and vanilla extract in the custard mixture.
- Step 6
- Pour the custard over the cherries in the baking dish. Sprinkle all over with sliced almonds on the top of the custard mixture. Prepare to bake.
- Step 7
- Insert the custard dish into the oven in the middle rack and bake for 45-50 minutes. Insert the toothpick into the center and it should come out clean. Prepare to remove from the oven. Let the custard set at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
- Step 8
- To serve: Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of the custard and serve warm.